Phones drop! It happens, so let’s just get on with the program. Most phones on the market can sustain small falls or accidental drops from a couple of inches. But what happens when you’re out in the wild, climbing rocks, when suddenly, your phone slips out of your pocket? No way is it going to survive that. Not only will your phone be crushed, but you’ll also be in the wild alone, unable to reach anyone.
Screen protectors offer an extra layer of protection, but for someone who’s always out on an adventure or living in extreme weather conditions, an average smartphone isn’t going to cut it. That’s where rugged phones come in.
What are Rugged Phones?
Able to resist shock, water, dust, extreme weather, and high impact, rugged phones are tested against military standards. The European Committee for Electro Technical Standardization (CENELEC) coined the term Ingress Protection (IP) to rate equipment against environmental protection. Materials that can withstand solid, liquid, and often mechanical impact are rated based on IP numbers, with 0 offering no protection and the highest number offering the most. The ratings are usually limited to two numbers, with IP68 being the highest, as in the case of the Ulefone Armor 3.
Should I Buy a Rugged Phone?
If you fall into the category of people listed below, a rugged phone is an excellent choice for you.
- Adventurers: Mountains or jungles are no place to be left with a broken phone. If it shatters or cracks and stops working, things can quickly take a turn for the worse.
- Travel Bloggers: Bloggers like to keep their followers updated about their itinerary and the places they are visiting. A shattered screen will get in the way of that.
- Construction Workers: When working on heights or with a lot of pointed rocks and stones around, even a small fall can render your phone useless.
- Mine Workers: Mines or any other hazardous environments aren’t a great place to take out your smartphone and use it. Most smartphones can’t handle smokes or toxic fumes and will be at heightened risk of becoming faulty.
- Forces Personnel: Anyone enrolled in military, army, navy or air force is likely to deal with situations that are unusual. Such circumstances demand a rugged phone.
Whereas rugged phones excel in structural integrity, they lack in other specifications like high speed processors or cameras. Assess your situation before buying a rugged phone and if you’re unable to let go of your iPhone or Android, you can always get it as a second option and use it during extreme conditions only.
Rugged or not, screen cracks can still occur if you’re not handling your phone carefully. Our advice is that you go all the way for the safety of your phone, whatever it is, and get it another layer of screen protection in the form of tempered glass.
Based in Texas, at Cell Parts Hub, we provide customers with affordable market rates on wholesale cell phone parts, such as batteries, phone screens and phone accessories. Offering free ground shipping on orders above $100, you can immediately register and fill out a quick form to place your order.
Cell Parts Hub also offers free overnight shipping on orders exceeding $750. You can reach us at 1-866-861-5655 or send your queries on the website.